There are many ways to identify a Morris 850, from a check of key features to a detailed investigation of identification numbers and body components.
With the Morris 850 being a unique model in Australia, an original car can be easily identified by checking for these key features.
- Identification plate stamped with type code 'YMA2S1'
- 848cc engine, stamped with prefix code '8AMUH' or '8YUH'
- Pressed steel radiator grille (painted white or chrome)
- Sliding windows for doors
- ‘Morris 850’ badge on boot lid
- Long ‘magic wand’ gear lever
- Push button floor starter
- Silver centre speedometer
- Patterned vinyl seat facings
After many decades since being built, it is not unusual for a car to have had many parts changed. Beyond basic features, an 850 can be identified in greater detail through the presence and location of identification numbers, body pressings and other components.
Last updated 13 April 2021